Thursday, December 2, 2010

Advent Calendar: Foods fit for Presidents

Food. I'm a big fan. But I must admit that few of my Christmas memories involve food. Music, parties, trees, candles - absolutely. Not much food.

Mamie Eisenhower color photo portrait, White House, May 1954My mother certainly cooked. She simply didn't enjoy it much. Her best recipes came from friends or family (not sure we would have made it to adulthood without the recipes sent by her mother and sisters). She did have a couple go-to recipes she pulled out every Christmas that were outstanding. Both came straight from the White House (via my grandmother) - Mamie Eisenhower's Million Dollar Fudge and Jackie Kennedy's Baked Fruit.

We would make pans full of the fudge and set them in the garage (often sitting on top of the car) to cool. At the time it seemed reasonable. I can't imagine doing it today - but then my garage isn't even fit for a car. It was great fudge and I am forever grateful to Mrs. Eisenhower for that sweet memory.

Whitehouseportraitjackie1Jackie's baked fruit is still one of my favorite recipes. I, too, trot it out over the holidays. I believe she served it as a dessert, but in our home it was and is a side dish. Easy, yummy and spiked. What more could one want?


Jackie's Baked Fruit Casserole
(serves 6-8)

Grate rind of 1 orange and 1 lemon.
Add to 1/2 c. light brown sugar, packed, and 1/4 t. nutmeg.
Slice orange and lemon into thin slices. Remove seeds.

Drain: 1 8 oz. can apricots
           1 8-3/4 oz. can pineapple slices
           1 8-3/4 oz. can sliced peaches
           1 17 oz. can pitted Bing cherries
           1 8 oz. can pears

Combine fruits. Butter a 1 qt. casserole and arrange fruit in layers sprinkling each layer with some brown sugar. Top with 1/4 c. kirsch.

Bake 30 minutes in medium oven. Serve warm.  

Photographs: 
Mamie Eisenhower by White House photographer, via Wikimedia Commons
Jacqueline Kennedy by Shaw, Mark (1922-1969), photographer [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons.