Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Pining for a Pedigree Chart, Part 3 or What I Did

Using the strategy of "translating" the HTML code that I wrote about in my last post I was able to achieve my goal of a pedigree chart interface on my yet to be born website. This is what I did.

In Legacy I created pedigree style web pages for a family group.


I chose to view the pages in my browser and selected a page to transfer to my website, making note of the file title.




I found the file in the Legacy file on my hard drive and chose to "Open With" a text file editor (in this case Notebook).


The opened text file contained the HTML code for the web page. I copied all of the text.


I opened my web site in Google Sites and chose to create a new page. I used the same name as the file for the page name (later on I'll go back and change names if I wish) and selected the basic Web Page template.



I selected the "Edit HTML Source" option and pasted the copied HTML code from the Legacy generated file. After closing the HTML Editor I was able to edit the page using the WYSIWYG editor.


I edited the page - heavily - and customized the pedigree chart, tailoring it to reflect my use of family group pages rather than individual pages.


Then I saved the page as a template, allowing me to use the design on any new page I choose.


I was so pleased with the result that I designed a template for a modified family group page and saved it as well.


The templates based on the Legacy pages can now be used to create new pages. 

The process of creating the pages is still cumbersome. I can only do a page at a time and have to enter all the links myself, but I can do so on the pedigree chart or in the "Family" box giving me the graphic interface I wanted. It is surely not worth the effort if the goal is a site with a complete (though I know there's no such animal) family tree. In that case I would have to move to a different type of web site that allowed uploading of files or integration with a program like TNG. But for my purposes this works.