Friday, December 10, 2010

Remembering Mother

Today is the 82nd anniversary of my mother's birth. A red letter day, in my book. She was, and remains, the person who's had the greatest influence on my life. I often forget the anniversary of her death. It is not a day I care to commemorate or celebrate in anyway. But today is a day for rejoicing and remembering.

This is my favorite photograph of her. It's not the best, but it captures an aspect of her personality I adored - her curiosity and interest in the world. She didn't care all that much about day-to-day life or people (other than those she loved or admired - a group which included her family and friends, the New York Yankees, the Knicks of the early 1970s, Jussi Björling and those authors, artists or composers who created works worth knowing). But she was fascinated by history, science, nature and art.

The picture was taken when we were at the Ding Darling Wildlife Refuge on Sanibel Island just as the roseate spoonbills were flying in to feed.

Today, in her memory, I will read a poem, listen to an opera (or at least a couple arias), have two glasses of wine and embellish a story or two. I'll think about baseball, plan a trip, overcook a pork chop, look at something extraordinarily beautiful and laugh with my family. If I have any time left I'll do the New York Times crossword.

Love you, Mom.  Happy Birthday.