Friday, May 6, 2011

Completing the Picture

One of the great joys in my genealogical life is that my husband's family is so very different from my own. Between us we've got a great chunk of the American story covered. He brings Pilgrims, a hint of Salem witchcraft, Palatine Germans, Calverts, Cavaliers, Cowboys and Conestoga Wagons. I bring the Scots-Irish, a hint of the Alamo, a couple more Palatine Germans, less august Tidewater settlers, some Quakers, Baptists and the whole Ellis Island thing. We each can claim contorted connections to Lincoln and Washington. We even have a few moments where our relatives are neighbors - literally - in Virginia. We don't make it all the way to the west coast (at least not until recently), but plenty of cousins did. It's fun stuff for me to play with how we fit into the big picture.  It'd be a pretty bare picture without him.

Why do I mention all of this today? Let me count the reasons...

By jessica.diamond