Tuesday, July 26, 2011

At the end of the road - Tombstone Tuesday


When I arrived in Washington County, Tennessee after following the same path south as my Scots-Irish Presbyterian ancestors (though far more comfortably and rapidly), I went first to the cemeteries dotting the countryside around the Big Limestone Creek where they settled. 

At Salem Cemetery, located on the grounds of Washington College, I found the fading markers for my 4th great-grandparents John and Elizabeth Cloyd Stephenson and for John's mother, Alice Houston Stephenson. I am a novice gravestone photographer and these are almost impossible to read without ones fingers tracing the letters. I've transcribed the engraving as best I can. Selecting individual photographs will allow you to make out some of the lettering.


              memory of
Elizabeth Stephenson
Born October 15th 17  
Died March 30th 18  
aged 61 years &         


             memory of
John Stephenson
Born May 2 th 1779
Died March 24th 1842
aged _ 2 & 10 months


            memory of

Alice Stephenson
Born August 1_th 1749
Died February 27th 1832
aged 82 years & 6 months