Thursday, August 5, 2010

Treasure Chest Thursday: Gee's Powder Horn


My great-grandfather Gee Sawyer used this powder horn as a young man after the Civil War in Cocke County, Tennessee.  I don't know if it was his father's before him, but I do know my grandfather used it growing up across the Nolichucky River in Greene County, close to Davy Crockett's old stomping grounds.

It belongs to my son now, though I am the caretaker.  He, too, used it as a boy, though on imaginary adventures.



Powder horn, 19th century. Digital Image.  Privately held by Nolichucky Roots [ADDRESS FOR PRIVATE USE], 1993.

3 comments:

  1. What a super nice treasure! It looks to be in very good shape too. Thanks for sharing! (Ha, ha! I feel like Treasure Chest Thursday is an adult version of "show and tell"!! Love it!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now, THAT is a treasure! Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice piece of family history. I have seen pictures of powder horns, but I have never seen a real one. You are so fortunate to have your grandfather's.

    ReplyDelete

Comments related to the information shared here are most appreciated. All comments are moderated, and since I am not actively researching right now it many take a day or two for your comment to post. Please know that it will post, and that I much appreciate the feedback.