Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Westward Ho!

I am temporarily changing directions at Nolichucky Roots. Or expanding my compass. This blog is named for the East Tennessee river my mother's family lived by for generations. I have also written about the Carpatho-Rusyn roots of my father's family and the Tidewater roots of my mother-in-law.

My father-in-law's family has been neglected. Certainly not in research! They have been a fascinating bunch to trace. While the other three lines have strong ties to particular geographic areas, his lines are distinguished by few ties to any location. Over the 19th & 20th centuries they moved. And moved. And moved. I call his family the Westward Roots, for the only constant has been the direction of their migrations. 

Other family members have, however, done good research, and with little new or original to share, and no photographs to illustrate the stories, I set them aside. No more. My husband's aunt recently showed me her grandmother, Eva Bonnel Whitaker's (12 Feb. 1869 -  27 Feb. 1963) photo album. 

Grandma Bonnel's photo album

Eva had photographs of her parents and grandparents, of family businesses, her children, brothers and sisters. I shall be sharing them here with her granddaughter's permission. It is a thrill to be able to do so, and a whole new world. We shall be in Kansas, Nebraska and Wyoming.